ACZISC COASTAL UPDATE - NOVEMBER 2008
UPCOMING ACZISC MEETINGS
- 22-23 January 2009: ACZISC Meeting #56, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (revised dates)
- 13-14 May 2009: ACZISC Meeting #57, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- 23-24 September 2009: ACZISC Meeting #58, St. John's, Newfoundland
- 20-21 January 2010: ACZISC Meeting #59, Fredericton, New Brunswick
For information on the meetings, email the
COASTAL ACTIVITIES IN ATLANTIC CANADA
A report of Coastal Activities in Atlantic Canada, based on discussions at the ACZISC Meeting held on 24-25 September 2008 in Fredericton, New Brunswick, and the presentations made at the meeting are available at http://aczisc.dal.ca/docs-ACZISC.htm.
TEACHING MANUAL ON ICZM
The goal of Coastal Profs, a project funded by the European Union (Asia Link), was to develop curricula to support Masters-level courses on Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM). Three modules were developed: Awareness of human dimensions and approaches for social analysis; Field-based case studies to develop observational skills to understand natural and social science features; and Approaches and tools to integrate multi-disciplinary knowledge in support of coastal management. The 'Coastal Profs' teaching manual/modules are available at http://www.coastalprofs.eu.
PROCEEDINGS OF ICES SCIENCE CONFERENCE
The 2008 Annual Science Conference of the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) was held on 22-26 September 2008 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The reports from the theme sessions and committee meetings presented at the Conference are available at http://www.ices.dk/products/cmdocsindex.asp.
CALL FOR PAPERS: COASTAL ZONE 09
21 November 2008 is the deadline for submitting abstracts to Coastal Zone 09, scheduled for 19-23 July 2009 in Boston, Massachusetts. The theme is 'Revolutionary Times: Catching the Wave of Change'. The Conference tracks are: Coastal communities adapting to changing conditions; Conservation in the face of change; and Ocean and Great Lakes planning for changing human uses - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/cz/index.html.
INNOVATIVE LAND USE PLANNING TECHNIQUES HANDBOOK
The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services and its partners have produced the Innovative Land Use Planning Techniques: A Handbook for Sustainable Development. The Handbook includes sections dealing with development density, environmental characteristics, and site level design. Each of the 23 chapters includes model ordinances and regulations for use by municipalities interested in implementing the innovative land use techniques. The Handbook is available at http://des.nh.gov/organization/divisions/water/wmb/repp/innovative_land_use.htm.
COASTAL FLOODING, ADAPTATION AND INSURANCE
The report entitled Coastal Communities and Climate Change, published by Lloyd's and a catastrophe risk modelling firm, examines the impact of climate change on flood risk at a number of coastal locations in Europe, Asia and the Caribbean, and the benefits of adaptation measures. The authors suggest that the insurance industry can play a significant part in encouraging adaptation by policyholders through incentives and relating premiums to the underlying risk to which properties are exposed. The report is available at http://www.lloyds.com/News_Centre/Features_from_Lloyds/Call_for_insurers_to_help_prevent_coastal_flooding_090809.htm.
ESTABLISHING RESILIENT MARINE PROTECTED AREA NETWORKS
This guide, published by the IUCN, reviews the role of MPAs and MPA networks at local and regional scales to achieve marine conservation. It utilizes current scientific knowledge, institutional experience and global case studies to outline the latest information pertaining to building resilient and functional MPA networks. It also highlights global commitments for marine conservation and shows how to move from individual MPA sites to an effective system of national and regional MPA networks - http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/mpanetworksmakingithappen_en.pdf.
PROGRESS TOWARDS CENSUS OF MARINE LIFE 2010
The Census of Marine Life is a global network of researchers from 82 nations who are participating in a 10-year scientific initiative to assess and document the diversity, distribution, and abundance of life in the world's oceans. The first comprehensive Census will be released in 2010. The fourth interim global highlights report, prepared in conjunction with the World Conference on Marine Biodiversity (11-15 November 2008 in Valencia, Spain), is available at http://coml.org/press-releases-2008.
RECENT FAO PUBLICATIONS
Documents published in 2008, including the following, are available at http://www.fao.org/fishery/publications/2008:
- Assessment and Communication of Environmental Risks in Coastal Aquaculture: a GESAMP study focusing on environmental risk assessment and communication in coastal aquaculture
- Fisheries Management (Ecosystem approach to fisheries; Best practices in ecosystem modelling for informing an ecosystem approach to fisheries): produced as an addition to the FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries
- Integrating Fisheries into Coastal Area Management: a booklet on some important aspects of FAO Technical Guidelines for Responsible Fisheries dealing with the integration of fisheries into coastal area management.
OTHER DOCUMENTS, NEWSLETTERS AND WEB RESOURCES
- In New Brunswick, work is underway which will lead to the opening of the Petitcodiac River causeway gates in the spring of 2010 and the restoration of the River. The Terms of Reference for the follow-up program for the modifications to the Causeway are available at http://www.gnb.ca/0009/0377/0002/0033-e.pdf.
- A study carried out by the Coastal Resources Center at the University of Rhode Island assesses the coastal priority issues of the Northeast US by examining a selection of representative planning documents. The review focused on the management of coastal ecosystems; coastal hazards resilience; and cross-cutting issues of data and information access and usability - http://www.crc.uri.edu/download/Northeast_Literature_Review.pdf.
- The Habitat Priority Planner (HPP), designed by NOAA's Coastal Services Center, is a spatial decision support tool designed to assist coastal communities and other users in prioritizing important areas in the landscape or seascape for conservation or restoration action. HPP and other decision-support tools for coastal management are available at http://www.csc.noaa.gov/tools.html.
- The International Conference on Marine Affairs and the Law of the Sea was held on 21-23 August 2008 in Oslo, Norway. The theme was 'The World Ocean in Globalization: Challenges for Marine Regions'. The Conference presentations are available at http://www.fni.no/conference/presentations.html.
- Volume 18 of the Coastal Research Journal is a special issue on the Effects of Climate Change on Marine Ecosystems. It contains selected papers from a Symposium held in conjunction with the 42nd European Marine Biology Symposium in August 2007 in Kiel, Germany - http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/cr/v37/n2-3/.
- The Proceedings of the Symposium on Chronic Risk of Global Climate Change to Urban Coasts and Economies, held in November 2007 in Hoboken, New Jersey, are available at http://cmn.dl.stevens-tech.edu/SeaGrant/SLR/.
- The proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment, held on the 4-10 May 2008 in Perth, Australia, are available at http://dev.iaia.org/index.aspx.
- MPA News features international news and analysis on Marine Protected Areas. The October 2008 issue reviews the numerous new tools, publications, principles, and guidelines to aid MPA practitioners that were announced at the IUCN World Conservation Congress (5-14 October, Barcelona, Spain) - http://depts.washington.edu/mpanews/issues.html.
- A UN document (A/63/342) has been prepared on the available assistance to and measures that may be taken by developing States to realize the benefits of sustainable and effective development of marine resources and uses of the oceans within the limits of national jurisdiction - http://www.un.org/Depts/los/general_assembly/study/study2008.htm.
- The aim of the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS) is to provide an authoritative and comprehensive list of names of marine organisms, including information on synonymy. Highest priority is given to valid names; however, other names in use are included so that the register can serve as a guide to interpret taxonomic literature - http://marinespecies.org.
- Articles featured in the October 2008 edition of NOAA's Coastal Management News include Rhode Island's Ocean Special Area Management Plan under development and Estuaries 101, NOAA's new online science curriculum - http://coastalmanagement.noaa.gov/news/docs/czmnewsOct08.pdf.
- The MEA Bulletin, published by the International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), is a newsletter on the activities of key multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) and their secretariats. Issue No. 56 (October 2008) is available at http://www.iisd.ca/mea-l/meabulletin56.pdf.
- The book entitled Oceans Governance in the Twenty First Century: Managing the Blue Planet analyses the development of national, regional and international initiatives and arrangements directed towards governance of the world's seas and oceans. Ordering information is available at http://www.e-elgar.co.uk/Bookentry_DESCRIPTION.lasso?id=12625.
- Volume 174 Issue 4 (December 2008) of the Geographical Journal is a special issue on Coastal and Marine Governance in the UK. Details and ordering information are available at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118517956/home.
- Environment Canada's Green Meeting Guide is a practical reference tool for organizers of a meeting or conference with the aim of making the event environmentally responsible - http://www.ecogouvernement.gc.ca/F5B1C0BC-741C-4493-B4B7-B0D56BBE6566/Green_Meeting_Guide_07.pdf.
- The Australian Coastal Society (ACS) was formally established recently to provide 'a voice for the Australian coast'. The ACS is now calling for memberships - http://www.australiancoastalsociety.org.
- 15 November is the deadline for submitting abstracts the International Forum on Integrated Water Resource Management, 1-3 June 2009, Sherbrooke, Québec - http://www.cogesaf.qc.ca/rv-eau/en/home.html.
- 21 November is the deadline for submitting abstracts to Coastal Zone 09, 19-23 July 2009, Boston, Massachusetts - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/cz/index.html.
- 1 December is the deadline for submitting proposals for Volume 19 (2008 Edition) of the Yearbook of International Environmental Law. The topic will be 'Environmental Security' - http://www.jus.uio.no/forskning/grupper/intrel/YBIEL/index.html.
- 3 December is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 7th International Conference on Geomorphology, 6-11 July 2009, Melbourne, Australia - http://www.geomorphology2009.com.
- 15 December is the deadline for submitting abstracts for refereed papers to the 6th Coastal and Marine Tourism Congress, 23-26 June 2009, Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa - http://www.cmt2009.com.
- 15 December is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the international symposium associated with the Arctic Science Summit Week, 23-28 March 2009, Bergen, Norway - http://www.imr.no/assw2009.
. - 22 December is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 6th International Conference on Coastal Dynamics, 7-11 September 2009, Tokyo, Japan - http://www.coastaldynamics.org.
- 15 January is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 3rd International Conference on Estuaries & Coasts, 14-16 September 2009, Sendai, Japan - http://donko.civil.tohoku.ac.jp/icec2009/index.html.
- 30 January is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 8th Bay of Fundy Workshop, 26-29 May 2009, Wolfville, Nova Scotia - http://www.bofep.org/workshop2009.htm.
- 31 March is the deadline for submissions for Volume 24 of the Ocean Yearbook of the International Ocean Institute. Topics include: issues and prospects; ocean governance; living resources of the ocean; non-living ocean resources; transportation and communications; environment and coastal management; maritime security; military activities; regional developments; training and education; and polar issues - http://law.dal.ca/Institutes/Marine%20&%20Environmental%20Law%20Institute/Ocean%20Yearbook/.
OTHER UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- For a complete list of upcoming conferences and workshops, access http://aczisc.dal.ca/conf.htm.
- 17-20 November 2008: Coastal Cities Summit: Values and Vulnerabilities, St. Petersburg, Florida - http://www.stpt.usf.edu/ioiusa/conference.htm.
- 19-20 November 2008: Geomatics Atlantic 2008, Saint John, New Brunswick - http://www.geomaticsatlantic.com.
- 19-20 November 2008: OREG Symposium on Building the Business of Ocean Energy, Whistler, British Columbia - http://www.oreg.ca/2008_Fall_Symposium.html.
- 19-22 November 2008: 11th International Conference on Shellfish Restoration, Charleston, South Carolina - http://www.scseagrant.org/Content/?cid=297.
- 26-28 November 2008: Littoral 2008, Venice, Italy - http://www.littoral2008.corila.it.
- 1-5 December 2008: 4th International Symposium on Deepsea Corals, Wellington, New Zealand - http://coral2008.niwa.co.nz.
- 3-5 December 2008: Northeast Aquaculture Conference and Exposition, Portland, Maine - http://www.northeastaquaculture.org.
- 8-11 December 2008: Conference on Ecosystem Services, Naples, Florida - http://www.conference.ifas.ufl.edu/ACES/.
- 9-12 December 2008: International Climate Change 2008 Conference, Québec City, Québec - http://www.arctic-change2008.com.
- 25-30 January 2009: ASLO Aquatic Sciences Meeting 2009, Nice, France - http://www.aslo.org/nice2009.
- 1-5 February 2009: 3rd International Conference in Ocean Engineering, Madras, Chennai, India - http://www.oec.iitm.ac.in/icoe2009/index.html.
- 2-5 February 2009: 5th International Conference on Remediation of Contaminated Sediments, Jacksonville, Florida - http://www.battelle.org/Conferences/sediments/index.aspx.
- 8-11 February 2009: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Washington - http://www.psgbconference.org.
- 12-16 February 2009: Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Chicago, Illinois - http://www.aaas.org/meetings/2009/.
- 18-20 February 2009: National Conference on Beach Preservation Technology, St. Petersburg Beach, Florida - http://www.fsbpa.com/seminar.htm.
- 20-21 February 2009: Fishermen and Scientists Research Society 16th Annual Conference, Truro, Nova Scotia - http://www.fsrs.ns.ca.