GIS DAY AT COGS
INVENTORY OF ATLANTIC COASTAL MAPPING PROJECTS
METADATA WORKSHOP REPORT
The report of the ACZISC/GeoConnections metadata workshop entitled Collaborative Opportunities in the Delivery of Metadata is available. The workshop was held on 21-22 August 2000 in Amherst, Nova Scotia.
SABLE ISLAND PRESERVATION TRUST
The Sable Island Preservation Trust was established to ensure the long-term conservation of Sable Island. Its objectives are to maintain on-going supervisory human presence; establish educational and interpretation programs; and coordinate core services and activities. ACAP is a partner in the Trust.
SOUTHERN GULF OF ST. LAWRENCE COALITION ON SUSTAINABILITY
GULF OF MAINE
GENUINE PROGRESS INDEX
Unlike the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the GPI assesses the ecological, social and economic value of resource exploitation. Several reports are available from GPI Atlantic, including The GPI Water Quality Accounts: Nova Scotia's Water Resource Values and the Damage Costs of Declining Water Resources and Water Quality. For information on GPI and to order reports, access http://www.gpiatlantic.org/.
ECOPATH FOR MANAGING ECOSYSTEMS
Ecopath is a free Windows-based software designed to help construct a (simple or complex) model of the trophic flows in an ecosystem, to analyze the system, and to study interactions in the system. Its successful application represents a move toward sustainable management of ecosystems. For information, accesshttp://www.ecopath.org/.
OCEANS PROGRAM ACTIVITY TRACKING SYSTEM
OPATS is an Internet application designed to provide information on Oceans Program activities taking place under Canada's Oceans Act. OPATS features a mapping application and other information needed to support the sustainable management of Canada's Oceans. For information, access http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/canoceans.
- The deadline for the RFP issued under the Access Program of GeoConnections has been extended to 19 October 2000.
- The National Atlas of Canada, a component of GeoConnections, is launching its 1st RFP for project proposals to develop national-scale content for the Atlas.Deadline: 23 October 2000.
- The Framework Data Node of GeoConnections is launching its 3rd RFP. This is an opportunity to contribute to the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure and an invitation to present your project proposals. Deadline: 24 November 2000.
- For information, access the GeoConnections website.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AT COASTAL ZONE CANADA
Herb Dhaliwal, the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, made the following announcements at Coastal Zone Canada 2000 in Saint John, New Brunswick from 17-22 September:
- $1.14 million for an Ocean Management National Research Network, an initiative of DFO and SSHRC, to accelerate the application of critical thinking and best practices for sustainability within oceans management. Application deadline: 15 December 2000.
- Appointment of the nine members of the Advisory Council on Oceans.
CANADA'S FIRST MPA
Race Rocks was officially designated Canada's first Marine Protected Area by the federal and British Columbia provincial governments and Coast Salish First Nations on 14 September 2000. Race Rocks is the most southerly part of Canada on the Pacific Coast.
OCEANS INDUSTRIES DATABASE
The Database on Oceans Industries was prepared by combining a large number of existing databases maintained by government agencies and industry associations.
WORKING TOGETHER IN RURAL CANADA
The Canadian Rural Partnership annual report to Parliament is available. The report, including two annexes provides a List of Canadian Rural Partnership (CRP) Pilot Projects 1998-1999 and List of Government Initiatives Affecting Rural Canada.
LAUNCHING OF CEC NEWSLETTER ONLINE
The North American Commission for Environmental Cooperation has launched Trio. Articles include: Tracking dioxins to the Arctic; Assessing the environmental effects of free trade; The power of pollutant information; Reducing mercury in the North American environment; Helping industry improve its environmental performance.
STEMMING WIDESPREAD DECLINE IN WORLD'S ECOSYSTEMS
A landmark assessment, released on 15 September 2000, calls for a new approach to managing ecosystems in order to stem the widespread decline of the processes that sustain life on earth. To download the report, access http://www.wri.org/wri/wr2000/.
IKONOS CELEBRATES ITS FIRST ANNIVERSARY
The high-resolution IKONOS imagery is collected at one-metre resolution. To view sample imagery, access http://www.spaceimaging.com/ikonos/anniversary/index.htm.
CALL FOR PAPERS
- 15 November 2000 is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 2001 Canadian Coastal Conference scheduled for 16-19 May 2001 in Québec City, Québec. The theme is Coastal Science and Engineering, challenge for the new Millennium.
UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND OTHER EVENTS
- Rethinking the Line: The Canada - US Border, 23-25 October 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 5th Annual International CARIS Conference and Educational Sessions, 24-27 October, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- GI 2000, 25-26 October 2000, St. John's, Newfoundland.
- GIScience 2000, the 1st International Conference on Geographic Information Science, 28-31 October 2000, Savannah, Georgia.
- COSU 2000, the International Conference on Coastal and Ocean Space Utilisation, 1-4 November 2000, Cancun, Mexico.
- Getting Dirty: The how and why of salt marsh restoration, 5-7 November 2000, Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
- 7th International Conference Cities & Ports, 6-9 November 2000, Marseilles, France.
- Hydro 2000 - Interactive Hydrology, the 3rd International Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, 20-23 November 2000, Perth, Western Australia.
- For a more complete list of conferences and workshops, access http://aczisc.dal.ca/conf.htm.