UPCOMING ACZISC MEETINGS
- 31 May - 1 June 2006 (revised dates): ACZISC Meeting #48, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 27-28 September 2006: ACZISC Meeting #49, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- 24-25 January 2007: ACZISC Meeting #50, St. John's, Newfoundland
- 30-31 May 2007: ACZISC Meeting #51, Fredericton, New Brunswick (revised dates)
FREE DATA AND MAPS FROM SERVICE NEW BRUNSWICK
The Geographic Data and Maps section of Service New Brunswick gives access to freely available geographic information of New Brunswick. The products include the Digital Topographic Data Base (1998), the Softcopy Orthophotomap Data Base (distortion-free aerial photos), the New Brunswick Atlas - 2nd Edition, provincial themes, and reference indexes and maps. For information and to download the products, access https://www.web11.snb.ca/snb7001/e/2000/2900e_1.asp.
PROVIDING ACCESS TO INFORMATION ABOUT PLACENTIA BAY, NEWFOUNDLAND
$2 million in funding has been announced for a technology demonstration pilot project in Placentia Bay, Newfoundland. The SmartBay project will provide access to an integrated information base, including real-time information on the sea state, weather forecasts, vessel traffic movements, sensitive areas data, water quality data and other information about coastal and ocean areas. For information, access http://www.smartbay.ca/Media.asp.
CANADIAN OCEAN TECHNOLOGY DIRECTORY
SUSTAINABLE AND RENEWABLE ENERGY WORKSHOP
ATLANTIC CANADA COASTAL AND ESTUARINE SOCIETY WORKSHOP AND AGM
BAY OF FUNDY SCIENCE WORKSHOP
30 April is the extended deadline for submitting abstracts to the 7th Bay of Fundy Science Workshop of the Bay of Fundy Ecosystem Partnership. The event, hosted by the Huntsman Marine Science Centre, is scheduled for 25-27 October 2006 in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. The theme is 'Challenges in Environmental Management in the Bay of Fundy-Gulf of Maine'. For information, access http://www.bofep.org/workshop2006.htm.
COASTAL ZONE CANADA 2006 CONFERENCE
30 April is the deadline for submitting abstracts to Coastal Zone Canada 2006, scheduled for 14-18 August 2006 in Tuktoyaktuk, Northwest Territories. The theme is 'Arctic Change and Coastal Communities'. The Conference aims to raise awareness about the unique challenges faced by residents of the Arctic coastal zone in the face of rapid changes occurring in Arctic marine ecosystems. Contributions from coastal areas around the world are encouraged. For information, access http://www.czc06.ca.
ESIP PROGRAM MANAGER
25 April 2006 the deadline to apply for the position of Program Manager for the Gulf of Maine Ecosystem Indicator Partnership (ESIP) Program. The Gulf of Maine (GOM) Council on the Marine Environment and other regional partners formed ESIP and have completed an Indicators and Environmental Reporting Strategy. For information, access http://gulfofmaine.org/council/opportunities/.
US OCEAN RESEARCH PRIORITIES PLAN
Called for in the US Ocean Action Plan, the Ocean Research Priorities Plan (ORPP), in conjunction with a follow-on Implementation Strategy, will describe a vision for US ocean science and technology, describe the challenges to be addressed, identify key themes, specify goals for each theme and a timeframe for their achievement, and address implications for the use or prioritization of resources. 15 May is the deadline for public comment on the development of the ORPP. For information, access http://ocean.ceq.gov/about/sup_jsost_public_comment.html.
FAO GUIDELINES FOR DESIGNING MONITORING PROGRAMMES FOR CO-MANAGED FISHERIES
A two-part Fisheries Technical Paper has been published by FAO to meet the growing need among co-managers for guidelines to help design and implement appropriate and cost-effective data collection systems. "Part I: Practical Guide" is specifically for co-managers and facilitators working in the field. "Part II: Technical Guidelines" provides more detail on each of the sections found in the Practical Guide. The Guidelines are available at http://www.fao.org/fi/nems/news/detail_news.asp?lang=en&event_id=34182.
URBAN AND ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINTS
The ecological footprint concept - the area of land needed to provide the necessary resources and absorb the wastes generated by a community - is featured in this section of the Global Development Research Center website at http://www.gdrc.org/uem/footprints/index.html. The site provides access to resource materials, including: footprint calculators and tools; standards; carrying capacity; examples of urban footprints; etc.
OTHER DOCUMENTS, NEWSLETTERS AND WEB RESOURCES
- The C-CIARN Atlantic Workshop on Adapting Water Management in First Nations Communities to Climate Change was held last October in Moncton, New Brunswick. Documents, including the presentations and a Workshop report, are available at http://c-ciarn.dal.ca/workshops/6/index.html.
- The spring edition of the Gulf of Maine Times features an article on a bill now moving through Massachusetts' legislature that could, if the bill passes into law, put the state at the forefront of ocean management reform in the US - http://www.gulfofmaine.org/times/spring2006/index.html.
- The presentations from the Symposium of the Ocean Renewable Energy Group (OREG) held on 19-20 October 2005 in St John's, Newfoundland are available at http://www.oreg.ca/fall2005_symposium.html. The Symposium theme was 'Mapping the Way Forward for Development of the Canadian Ocean Energy Sector'.
- Coastal Connections is a publication of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Coastal Services Center. The April/May issue, which focuses on coastal ecosystem restoration, is available at http://www.csc.noaa.gov/newsletter/.
- The book entitled 50 Ways to Save the Oceans focuses on practical, easily implemented actions to protect and conserve the oceans. It also addresses issues such as toxic pollutant runoff; protecting wetlands and sanctuaries; saving reef environments; and replenishing fish reserves. For details, including ordering information, access http://www.50waystosavetheocean.com.
- Dynamic Changes in Marine Ecosystems: Fishing, Food Webs, and Future Options, produced by the Committee on Ecosystem Effects of Fishing, US National Research Council, is available at http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11608.html.
- Toward an Integrated Arctic Observing Network, prepared by the Committee on Designing an Arctic Observing Network, US National Research Council is available at http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11607.html.
- Frederick Short, research professor at the University of New Hampshire claims that seagrass beds are in decline around the world. And as these underwater 'meadows' disappear, so do commercially valuable shellfish and fish, waterfowl and other wildlife, water quality, and erosion prevention. For information, access http://www.unh.edu/news/news_releases/2006/march/bp_060327seagrass.html.
- A meeting entitled Implementing Marine Ecosystem-based Management: Integrating Perspectives from Science and Management was held last December in Monterey, California. For information, including a synthesis and the presentations, access http://compassonline.org/?q=meetings_and_events/#ime.
- The presentations of the 2005 virtual fall conference of the American Shore and Beach Preservation Association are available to the public until 15 May - http://www.asbpa.org/conferences/virtual_conf/conf_virt_conf.htm.
- The World Ocean Directory is an online service that describes more than 8300 ocean-related institutions around the world - http://www.thew2o.net/directory.html.
- 24 April is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the ICES Annual Science Conference, 19-23 September 2006 in Maastricht, The Netherlands - http://www.ices.dk/asc2006/
- 30 April is the deadline for submitting paper titles to the Environmental and Ecosystem Histories in the Northwest Atlantic Symposium, 13-15 September 2006 in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. The Symposium is hosted by the Scientific Council of the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) - http://www.nafo.int/science/research/conferences/2006/symposium06.html
- 30 April is the deadline for poster proposals to the 3rd Conference and Expo on Coastal and Estuarine Habitat Restoration, 9-13 December 2006 in New Orleans, Louisiana - http://www.estuaries.org/?id=4
- 1 May is the deadline for submitting paper proposals to Valuing Nature: Stewardship and Conservation in Canada 2006, 5-8 July 2006 in Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador - http://www.stewardship2006.ca
- 15 May is the deadline for submitting abstracts to MWWD 2006, the 4th International Conference on Marine Wastewater Discharges and Coastal Environment, 6-10 November 2006 in Antalya, Turkey - http://www.mwwd.org
- 16 May 2006 is the deadline for submitting abstracts to Coastal Sediments 07, the 6th International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 13-17 May 2007 in New Orleans, Louisiana - http://www.asce.org/conferences/cs07/
OTHER UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- For a more complete list of upcoming conferences and workshops, access http://aczisc.dal.ca/conf.htm.
- 20-21 April 2006: 17th Global Warming International Conference and Expo, Miami, Florida - http://globalwarming.net/
- 25-27 April 2006: East Coast Environmental Conference and Trade Show, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.nseia.ns.ca
- 1-4 May 2006: Offshore Technology Conference 2006, Houston, Texas - http://www.otcnet.org/2006
- 4-5 May 2006: Canada and the World of Ocean Energy Symposium, Victoria, British Columbia - http://www.oreg.ca/upcoming_events.html
- 7-11 May 2006: Monitoring Networks: Connecting for Clean Water, the 5th National Monitoring Conference, San José, California - http://www.tetratech-ffx.com/nwqmc06/index.cfm
- 8-10 May 2006: COASTLAB 06, the 1st International Conference on the Application of Physical Modelling to Port and Coastal Protection, Porto, Portugal - http://paginas.fe.up.pt/~lpneves/coastlab06/
- 8-10 May 2006: Freshwater for the Future, Gatineau, Québec - http://policyresearch.gc.ca/page.asp?pagenm=rp_sd_water&langcd=E
- 9-12 May 2006: Climate Change Technology Conference, Ottawa, Ontario - http://www.CCC2006.ca
- 9-12 May 2006: EMECS 7, the 7th International Conference on the Environmental Management of Enclosed Coastal Seas, Caen, France - http://emecs7.free.fr/angsommaire.htm
- 9-13 May 2006: AQUA 2006, the 2006 Conference of the World Aquaculture Society, Firenze, Italy - http://www.was.org/meetings/ConferenceInfo2.asp?MeetingCode=AQUA2006
- 14-17 May 2006: The Coastal Society's 20th International Conference, St. Pete Beach, Florida - http://www.thecoastalsociety.org/conference/tcs20/
- 22-25 May 2006: Coast to Coast 2006, Australia's biennial national coastal conference, Melbourne, Australia - http://www.iceaustralia.com/coasttocoast2006/index.html
- 24-25 May 2006: Energy Research and Development Forum, Antigonish, Nova Scotia - http://ns.energyresearch.ca/index.cfm?ID=2901
- 29 May - 2 June 2006: Canadian Association of Geographers Annual Meeting, Thunder Bay, Ontario - http://geography.lakeheadu.ca/CAG2006/
- 29 May - 16 June 2006: Summer Institute in Coastal Management, University of Rhode Island in Narragansett, Rhode Island - http://www.crc.uri.edu
- 31 May - 2 June 2006: 8th GEOIDE Annual Scientific Conference, Banff, Alberta - http://www.geoide.ulaval.ca/banff_EN.html
- 18-28 June 2006: Summer School on Controls in Marine Ecosystems, Dragerup, Denmark - http://www.eur-oceans.org/eamr/school/
- 5-7 June 2006: Coastal Environment 2006, the 6th International Conference on Environmental Problems in Coastal Regions including Oil and Chemical Spill Studies, Rhodes, Greece - http://www.wessex.ac.uk/conferences/2006/coast06/index.html
- 5-8 June 2006: Geomatics Atlantic 2006 Conference, Wolfville, Nova Scotia - http://www.geomaticsatlantic.com
- 5-9 June 2006: Canadian Hydrographic Conference 2006, hosted by the Canadian Hydrographic Service and the Canadian Hydrographic Association, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.chc2006.ca
- 7 June 2006: Workshop on Fostering Sustainable Behavior, Portland, Maine - http://aczisc.dal.ca/PEP-wksp.pdf
- 9-11 June 2006: People and the Planet Conference, Ottawa, Ontario - http://www.peopleandtheplanet.ca
- 13-17 June 2006: ECO-IMAGINE Conference Building Coastal Knowledge and GI, Cork, Ireland - http://www.gisig.it/eco%2Dimagine
- 14-15 June 2006: 10th Canadian Pollution Prevention Roundtable, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.c2p2online.com/CPPR