ACZISC COASTAL UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 2006
UPCOMING ACZISC MEETINGS
- 27-28 September 2006 (revised): ACZISC Meeting #49, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- 24-25 January 2007: ACZISC Meeting #50, St. John's, Newfoundland
- 30-31 May 2007: ACZISC Meeting #51, Fredericton, New Brunswick (revised dates)
- 19-20 September 2007: ACZISC Meeting #52, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Workshop is scheduled for 23-25 October 2006 in St. John's, Newfoundland. OceanSAR 2006 is the 3rd in the series of workshops on coastal and marine applications of SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar). The theme is Bridging the Gap between Science and Operations. The topics are: Stewardship of Coastal and Marine Environments; Monitoring and Surveillance for Security and Domain Awareness; Operational Ocean Management; National and International Collaborations and Programs; and Advances in SAR Information Extraction. For information, access http://www.oceansar2006.com/.
OCEAN INNOVATION 2006
The Conference, hosted by the CCMC, is scheduled for 25-27 October 2006 in St. John's, Newfoundland. The theme is Managing Maritime Emergencies. Session topics include: Understanding Maritime Emergencies; Technologies for Collecting and Presenting Decision-Critical Information; Evacuation, Rescue and Recovery; and Emergency Management Systems and Support Tools. For information, access http://www.oceaninnovation.ca.
CANADA'S OFFSHORE: JURISDICTION, RIGHT AND MANAGEMENT
This book deals comprehensively and systematically with the important issues pertaining to jurisdiction, rights, and management in Canada's offshore. These issues include major changes to the laws governing the offshore created by international agreements, Canadian legislation, and court decisions. The book also covers the mechanics of describing and determining ocean boundaries. Ordering information is available at http://www.acls-aatc.ca/ENGLISH/members-info/offshoretext.htm.
MARINE SPATIAL PLANNING NEEDED TO ADDRESS OCEAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
A recent article in Science states that problems in ocean resource management derive from governance, not science. The authors argue that "marine spatial planning with comprehensive ocean zoning" can help to address the current problems stifling effective management. They add that zoning would not replace existing fishing regulations but would add an important spatial dimension by defining areas within which compatible activities could occur. The article is available at http://www.mcbi.org/publications/pub_pdfs/Crowder_et_al_2006.pdf.
GEOCONNECTIONS OPPORTUNITIES AND WORKSHOPS
- GeoConnections is now soliciting proposals for projects to publish location-based, or "geospatial", data online through the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI) and proposals for defining strategic and business plans for use of the CGDI and for defining user requirements for CGDI applications - http://www.geoconnections.org/CGDI.cfm/fuseaction/opportunities.welcome/gcs.cfm.
- GeoConnections and the Geomatics Industry Association of Canada are holding one-day workshops to bring together users and suppliers of geospatial information, and to explore new ways for using such information to improve decision making and business and government operations - http://www.giac.ca/site/policy06.html.
ICM - DO WE REALLY HAVE A CHOICE
This booklet, produced by the EUCC (the Coastal Union) in conjunction with the Coastal Practice Network, is aimed at providing convincing arguments for politicians and stakeholders as to why integrated coastal management should be implemented throughout Europe. It looks at economic arguments and job creation, as well as lessening the effects of natural disasters and restoring habitat. The text includes examples from around the world where ICM is having a major, and positive, effect on coastal management, the social welfare of coastal communities and the natural habitats and landscapes of the coast. The booklet is available at http://www.coastalpractice.net/en/news/copranet.pdf.
THE CHANGING FACES OF EUROPE'S COASTAL AREAS
This report provides information on the state of the environment in the coastal areas of Europe, and provides evidence of the need for a more integrated, long-term approach. The objective of this work is to contribute to the review of the Recommendation of the European Parliament and the Council concerning the implementation of Integrated Coastal Zone Management in Europe, planned by the European Commission for 2006. The report is available at http://reports.eea.europa.eu/eea_report_2006_6/en.
TRACKING HUMAN IMPACT ON COASTAL MARINE ECOSYSTEMS FROM ROMAN TIMES TO PRESENT DAY
Human activity over the centuries has depleted 90% of marine species, eliminated 65% of seagrass and wetland habitat, degraded water quality 10-1,000 fold, and accelerated species invasions in 12 major estuaries and coastal seas around the world, according to a study published in Science Magazine and entitled Depletion, Degradation, and Recovery Potential of Estuaries and Coastal Seas. However, in areas where conservation efforts have been implemented in the 20th century, signs of recovery are apparent. The article and supporting documents are available at http://www.lenfestocean.org/newsroom/pr_2006_06_22.html.
OCEAN SCIENCE RESEARCH PRIORITIES IN THE USA
20 October 2006 is the deadline for public comment on Charting the Course for Ocean Science in the United States: Research Priorities for the Next Decade, a draft document that outlines the national ocean research priorities for the US for the next ten years. Called for in the US Ocean Action Plan, this document, along with a follow-on Implementation Strategy, will describe a vision for US ocean science and technology, highlight key areas of interaction between society and the ocean, and identify critical ocean research priorities for these areas. For information, access http://ocean.ceq.gov/about/sup_jsost_public_comment.html.
PROPOSED NETWORK OF MARINE PROTECTED AREAS IN CALIFORNIA
The California Fish and Game Commission has voted to select a preferred proposal for a network of marine protected areas (MPAs) along California's central coast. The proposal includes more than two dozen MPAs covering more than 200 square miles of State waters. Before the proposed MPAs take effect, the Commission's selected proposal and alternatives must undergo California Environmental Quality Act review and regulations must be promulgated. For details, access http://www.dfg.ca.gov/news/news06/com06004.html and http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/commissiondocs.html.
OTHER DOCUMENTS, NEWSLETTERS AND WEB RESOURCES
- The Nova Scotia Energy Research and Development Forum was held in May 2006. The presentations are available at http://ns.energyresearch.ca/index.cfm?ID=2900.
- Forty-two species have been added for protection under Canada's Species at Risk Act, including the North Pacific Right Whale (endangered) and the Atlantic population of Fin Whale (special concern) - http://www.ec.gc.ca/press/2006/060824_n_e.htm.
- The August issue of the Canadian Ocean Science Newsletter is available at http://www.cmos.ca/scor/newsletters.htm.
- The National Land and Water Information Service (NLWIS) provides access to websites and tools dealing with land, soil, water, climate and biodiversity resources in Canada - http://www.agr.gc.ca/nlwis.
- 15 September is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 2006 National Science Meeting of the Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN), scheduled for 20-25 November 2006 in Winnipeg, Manitoba - http://www.eman-rese.ca/eman/reports/meetings/invitation.html.
- 19 September is the deadline for comments to the Standards Council of Canada on a proposal by Standards Norway, the official Norwegian member of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), for a new international standard on fisheries and aquaculture - http://www.scc.ca/en/news_events/pr/pr_details_196.shtml
- 30 September is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the International Conference on Coastal and Ocean Governance, scheduled for 12-16 December 2006 in Haikou City, Hainan Province, PR China - http://www.pemsea.org/eascongress/.
- 2 October is the deadline to apply for two tenure-track faculty positions with the Ocean Sciences Centre of Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. The positions are in Marine Ecology/Biology and Marine Aquaculture - http://www.osc.mun.ca.
- 6 October is the deadline to submit abstracts to the Coastal Coastal GeoTools '07 Conference, 5-8 March 2007, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - http://www.csc.noaa.gov/geotools.
- 11 October is the deadline to apply for the position of Ocean Governance Officer with the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) located in St. Lucia - http://www.oecs.org/jobs.htm.
- 15 October is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the International Conference on Environment: Survival and Sustainability, 19-24 February 2007, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus - http://www.neuconference.org/.
- The Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board is inviting public comment on the draft Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) for the Sydney Basin area of the Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Area. The results of the SEA will be considered in decisions relating to the potential issuance of exploration licences. 13 October is the deadline to comment - http://www.cnlopb.nl.ca/newsr/2006nr/seasb/seasb.htm.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS...
OTHER UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- For a more complete list of upcoming conferences and workshops, access http://aczisc.dal.ca/conf.htm.
- 17-20 September 2006: California and the World Ocean '06, Long Beach, California - http://resources.ca.gov/ocean/cwo06/
- 18-20 September 2006: Littoral 2006, Gdansk, Poland - http://www.littoral2006.gda.pl/
- 18-21 September 2006: Oceans 2006 MTS/IEEE Conference, Boston, Massachusetts - http://www.oceans06mtsieeeboston.org/
- 19-23 September 2006: ICES Annual Science Conference, Maastricht, The Netherlands - http://www.ices.dk/asc2006/
- 25-26 September 2006: 3rd International Conference and Exhibition on Ballast Water Management, Singapore - http://www.ballast2006.com
- 25-27 September 2006: 7th Shallow Water Science and Management Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey - http://www.wetlandsworkgroup.org/shallowwater.htm
- 26-28 September 2006: International Conference on Implementing the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries, Bergen, Norway - http://cieaf.imr.no/
- 28-30 September 2006: 2006 Maritime Security Challenges Conference, Victoria, British Columbia - http://members.shaw.ca/marpac/msc_2006.html
- 3-6 October 2006: CORE 06, the 2006 Canadian Offshore Resources Exhibition and Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.coreconference.com
- 5-6 October 2006: 2006 Conference of Coastal Communities, Richmond, British Columbia - http://www.coastalcommunitynetwork.ca/main.cfm?cid=122
- 5-7 October 2006: Workshop on the Application of Scenarios with Reference to the Effect of Climate Change on Fisheries and Coastal Zone Management, Esbjerg, Denmark - http://www.sam.sdu.dk/fame/
- 12-13 October 2006: 3rd Workshop on Oil Spill Response, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - http://www.nato.int/ccms/2006/060530e.htm
- 15-20 October 2006: 25th Annual International Submerged Lands Management Conference, Red Bank, New Jersey - http://www.nj.gov/dep/cmp/czm_25aislmc.html
- 17-19 October 2006: Workshop on the Use of Exotic Species in Aquaculture, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - http://aczisc.dal.ca/exotics.pdf
- 19-22 October 2006: 2006 Conference of the Canadian Network for Environment Education and Communication (EECOM), Interpretation Canada (IC) and the Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN), White Point, Nova Scotia - http://www.saltoftheearth.ca/index_e.php
- 21-24 October 2006: Species at Risk Conference, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia - http://www.coastalaction.org/pages/conference.html
- 23-24 October 2006: International Conference on Ocean Energy, Bremerhaven, Germany - http://www.otti.de/pdf/guenther/coe2580cfp.pdf
- 25-27 October 2006: 7th Bay of Fundy Science Workshop, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - http://www.bofep.org/workshop2006.htm
- 25-27 October 2006: 2nd International Conference on the Management of Coastal Recreational Resources, Gozo, Malta - http://mcrr2.icod.org.mt