ACZISC COASTAL UPDATE - OCTOBER 2006
CONSERVING WILDLIFE SPECIES AND RECOVERING SPECIES AT RISK IN CANADA
The first Minister's Round Table under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) is scheduled for 6-7 December 2006. Discussions will focus on improving the conservation of species and protecting and recovering species at risk and their critical habitat, specifically by making more systematic use of the ecosystem approach, by considering socio-economic factors in listing and recovery planning processes, and by promoting Canada’s conservation legacy. Input is solicited on a document that will be provided to participants to guide Round Table discussions. Input received by 6 November will be summarized and provided to participants. For information, access http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/public/showDocument_e.cfm?id=1146.
UPCOMING ACZISC MEETINGS
- 24-25 January 2007: ACZISC Meeting #50, St. John's, Newfoundland
- 30-31 May 2007: ACZISC Meeting #51, Fredericton, New Brunswick (revised dates)
- 19-20 September 2007: ACZISC Meeting #52, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 23-24 January 2008: ACZISC Meeting #53, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
For information on the meetings, email the ACZISC Secretariat.
RECENT ADDITIONS TO THE ACZISC WEBSITE
The presentations made at the recent ACZISC Meeting in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island are available at http://aczisc.dal.ca/docs.htm#ACZISC. The topics are: the Marine Cadastre: Underpinning Sustainable Development and Resource Management; the Impacts of Sea-Level Rise and Climate Change on the Coastal Zone of Southeastern New Brunswick; and the Northumberland Strait Ecosystem and Overview: Progress Report.
REDUCING EFFLUENT FROM SEAFOOD PROCESSING
The report on Practical Best Management Practices for Reduction of Effluent from Seafood Processing in Atlantic Canada outlines the results of research to develop BMP methods designed to control effluents and to conserve water, raw material and energy in the seafood processing industry. The report represents the culmination of an industry-led process to develop, test and perfect BMPs. To obtain an electronic copy (in English or French), email Pierre Mallet.
7th BAY OF FUNDY SCIENCE WORKSHOP
The Workshop is scheduled for 25-27 October 2006 in St. Andrews, New Brunswick. Session topics include: Biodiversity and ecology; Environmental issues; Climate change and adaptation; Salt marshes; Resource management; Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy mapping; Monitoring and management; Sea bird ecology, prey and contaminants; and Near-shore fish ecology and interactions. For information, access http://www.bofep.org/workshop2006.htm.
AQUACULTURE CANADA 2006
The Conference is scheduled for 19-22 November 2006 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The theme is Culturing Quality and Confidence. Topics include: Challenges to Marine Aquaculture; Invasive Species; and Environmental Management: Effluent Management. For information, access http://www.aquacultureassociation.ca/AC06.
ENABLING WAVE AND TIDAL ENERGY
The Ocean Renewable Energy Group (OREG) Symposium, scheduled for 30 November - 1 December 2006 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, will focus on Technology Challenges and Technical Transfer Opportunities. Topics include: what ocean energy may offer Atlantic Canada; drawing on the European experience; assessing sites, resource evaluation and forecasting; connecting academia with the opportunity; and meeting the engineering and the marine operations needs. For information, access http://www.oreg.ca/fall_symposium_2006.html.
THE EFFECTS OF SEA-LEVEL RISE ON MAINE
The Natural Resources Council of Maine (NRCM) in the USA has released a study of the potential impacts on Maine's coastline from rising sea levels. Analysis indicates that coastal properties, wildlife habitat and transportation systems are highly vulnerable to sea-level rise. NRCM calculated impacts for the entire coast, and selected several key areas to undertake detailed mapping using satellite images. For information, access http://www.maineenvironment.org/sea_level_rise.asp.
IMPACTS OF TRAWL GEARS AND SCALLOP DREDGES ON BENTHIC HABITATS, POPULATIONS AND COMMUNITIES
This Fisheries and Oceans Canada Science Advisory Report considers the effects of selected mobile bottom-contacting gears used in Canada, specifically otter trawls, scallop dredges, and hydraulic clam dredges, and their effects on seafloor habitats and on populations and communities of benthic species. It is available at http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas/Csas/status/2006/SAR-AS2006_025_E.pdf.
MAJOR REFORMS OF NAFO
The 2006 annual meeting of the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) brought about some major changes in the way the organization deals with overfishing. Changes to NAFO were made on two levels: monitoring, control and surveillance measures and the organization's decision-making process. For information, access http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/overfishing-surpeche/index_e.htm.
UN REPORT ON VULNERABLE MARINE ECOSYSTEMS
The report of the Secretary General prepared in response to the UN General Assembly's request for information regarding actions taken to address the impacts of fishing on vulnerable marine ecosystems is available at http://www.un.org/ga/61/issues/justice.shtml.
CANADA'S NATIONAL NETWORK OF MPAs
A new report from WWF-Canada entitled A Policy and Planning Framework for Marine Protected Area Networks in Canada's Oceans documents best practices and international consensus to provide guidance on planning for regional MPA networks, paired with a proposed set of actions for national leadership. It is aimed at planners, partners, decision makers, and stakeholders who will play a role in shaping Canada's approach to planning MPA networks. The report is available online at http://www.wwf.ca/marinepriorityareas; to request a hard-copy, email Jennifer Smith.
NEW ECOSYSTEM-BASED MANAGEMENT TOOLS WEBSITE
This website at http://www.ebmtools.org provides a comprehensive source of information about Coastal-Marine Ecosystem-Based Management (EBM) Tools, including: Searchable on-line database of EBM Tools; EBM Tools training and funding opportunities; Coastal and marine data sources; and EBM Tools meetings and conferences.
MESSINA COASTAL TOOLKIT AVAILABLE
MESSINA, Managing European Shoreline and Sharing Information on Nearshore Areas, has developed a Coastal Manager Toolkit composed of four Practical Guides entitled: Monitoring and modelling the shoreline; Valuing the shoreline; Engineering the shoreline; and Integrating the shoreline into spatial planning processes. Each Guide includes a state-of-the-art study, a case study analysis, best practices compilation and operational recommendations. The Toolkit is available at http://www.interreg-messina.org/bestpractices.htm.
STATE OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT
The State of the Marine Environment report has been compiled by UNEP's Global Programme of Action for the Protection of the Marine Environment from Land-Based Sources. The report states that good progress is being made on three of nine key indicators, is mixed for two of them and is heading in the wrong direction for a further four including sewage, marine litter and 'nutrient' pollution. The findings will be presented at an intergovernmental review of the 10 year-old GPA initiative taking place on 16-20 October in Beijing, China. For information, access http://www.unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=486&ArticleID=5364&l=en.
RECENT IUCN PUBLICATIONS
The World Conservation Union Global Marine Programme periodically publishes documents related to conservation, management and the sustainable use of marine resources and ecosystems, either independently or in cooperation with partner organisations. Recent publications, including Alien Species in Aquaculture, Considerations for Responsible Use and Ecosystems and Biodiversity in Deep Waters and High Seas, are available at http://www.iucn.org/themes/marine/pubs/pubs.htm.
OTHER DOCUMENTS, NEWSLETTERS AND WEB RESOURCES
- A handbook entitled Marine Managed Areas: Best Practices for Boundary Making is a brief, best practices guide for writing and developing marine boundaries within a geographic information system framework for federal, state, or local marine managed areas. The manual is available in PDF format at http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/mb_handbook/MMA_Boundaries_Handbook.pdf.
- The proceedings of the European Conferences for Integrated Coastal Management and Geo-Information Research (ECO-IMAGINE) are available at http://www.gisig.it/eco%2Dimagine/VirtualPConference/proceedings/index.htm.
- The October 2006 issue of MPA News includes an article entitled Examining the Role of MPAs in Ecosystem-Based Management, and Vice Versa: Five Examples. MPA News is available at http://depts.washington.edu/mpanews/issues.html.
- A new US National Research Council report recommends that decision-makers take a regional approach to assess wider environmental impacts before permitting structures to be built on sheltered shorelines, and that alternative erosion-control methods, such as planting of marshes, be given greater consideration - http://www.nationalacademies.org/morenews/20061012.html.
- Issue 3 of GMP News, the IUCN Global Marine Programme newsletter, covers news and events on IUCN marine-related activities from the first eight months of 2006. It is available at http://www.iucn.org/themes/marine/gmp_newsletter.htm.
- The report entitled From Risk to Opportunity: How Insurers Can Proactively and Profitably Manage Climate Change states that dozens of new insurance activities are emerging to tackle the causes of climate change and rising weather-related losses in the US and globally. The report also outlines the combined 'sting' of high premiums, coverage restrictions and insurance cancellations for coastal property owners - http://www.ceres.org/news/news_item.php?nid=221.
- 15 October is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the International Conference on Environment: Survival and Sustainability, 19-24 February 2007, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus - http://www.neuconference.org/.
- 16 October is the deadline for submitting abstracts to the 21st Annual Meeting of the Society for Conservation Biology, 1-5 July 2007, Port Elizabeth, South Africa - http://www.nmmu.ac.za/scb/.
- 26 October is the deadline for submitting abstracts for a special session on Remote Sensing and GIS For Coastal and Watershed Studies at the 2007 Annual Meeting of the Association of American Geographers (AAG), 17-21 April 2007, San Francisco, California. For details, email Xiaojun Yang.
- 15 November is the deadline for submitting abstracts to CARIS 2007, the 11th International User Group Conference and Educational Sessions, 5-9 March 2007, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - http://www.caris.com/conferences/caris2007/.
- 17 November is the deadline for submitting proposals for habitat restoration project grants to the Gulf of Maine Council on the Marine Environment - http://www.gulfofmaine.org/habitatrestoration.
- 20 November is the deadline for submitting abstracts to ICCCM'07, the International Conference on Coastal Conservation and Management in the Atlantic and Mediterranean, 22-26 March 2007, Hammamet, Tunisia - http://webpages.fe.up.pt/ihrh/icccm07/.
- 31 March 2007 is the deadline for submission to Ocean Yearbook - Volume 22 of the International Ocean Institute. Articles on issues and prospects, ocean governance, living resources of the ocean, non-living ocean resources, transportation and communications, environment and coastal management, maritime security, military activities, regional developments, training and education, and ocean polar issues will be considered - http://www.dal.ca/law/melaw/oyb.
OTHER UPCOMING CONFERENCES AND EVENTS
- For a more complete list of upcoming conferences and workshops, access http://aczisc.dal.ca/conf.htm.
- 19-20 October 2006: The Evolution of Ecosystem Based Management: From Theory to Practice, the 6th Marine Law Symposium, Bristol, Rhode Island - http://law.rwu.edu/sites/marineaffairs/symposia/sixthMLS.aspx.
- 19-22 October 2006: Conference of the Canadian Network for Environment Education and Communication, Interpretation Canada and the Nova Scotia Environmental Network, White Point, Nova Scotia - http://www.earthed.ns.ca/saltoftheearth/.
- 23-24 October 2006: Species at Risk Conference, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia - http://www.coastalaction.org/pages/conference.html.
- 23-24 October 2006: International Conference on Ocean Energy, Bremerhaven, Germany - http://www.otti.de/pdf/guenther/coe2580cfp.pdf.
- 23-25 October 2006: OceanSAR 2006, St. John's, Newfoundland - http://www.oceansar2006.com.
- 25-27 October 2006: 7th Bay of Fundy Science Workshop, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - http://www.bofep.org/workshop2006.htm.
- 25-27 October 2006: Ocean Innovation 2006, St. John's, Newfoundland - http://www.oceaninnovation.ca.
- 25-27 October 2006: 2nd International Conference on the Management of Coastal Recreational Resources, Gozo, Malta - http://mcrr2.icod.org.mt.
- 6-9 November 2006: Hydro 06, the International Hydrographic Conference 2006, Antwerp, Belgium - https://www.ti.kviv.be/conf/hydro%2006/.
- 6-9 November 2006: Annual Conference of the American Water Resources Association, Baltimore, Maryland - http://www.awra.org/meetings/Baltimore2006/index.html.
- 6-10 November 2006: MWWD 2006, the 4th International Conference on Marine Wastewater Discharges and Coastal Environment, Antalya, Turkey - http://www.mwwd.org/site/page.asp?dsy_id=991.
- 8 November 2006: 3rd Annual Environmental Research Symposium, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://emaychair.dal.ca/Environmental_Research_Symposium/.
- 9-12 November 2006: Global Environmental Change Open Science Conference, Beijing, China - http://www.essp.org/essp/ESSP2006/.
- 15-19 November 2006: 9th International Conference on Shellfish Restoration, Charleston, South Carolina - http://www.scseagrant.org/icsr.htm.
- 19-22 November 2006: Aquaculture Canada 2006, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.aquacultureassociation.ca/AC06/index.html.
- 20-25 November 2006: Ecological Monitoring and Assessment Network (EMAN) National Science Meeting, Winnipeg, Manitoba - http://www.eman-rese.ca/eman/reports/meetings/invitation.html.
- 27-29 November 2006: 7th International Conference on Coasts, Ports and Marine Structures, Tehran, Iran - http://www.irpso.com.
- 30 November - 1 December 2006: Enabling Wave and Tidal Energy: Technology Challenges and Technical Transfer Opportunities, Halifax, Nova Scotia - http://www.oreg.ca/fall_symposium_2006.html.